Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Older and wiser maybe, yet always approaching the world with childlike wonder

Today marks one month since our arrival to Costa Rica. And I am finally used to the food, or maybe it’s gotten better. We still don’t get fresh fruit at employee meals, but I have had the privilege of enjoying a couple guest-quality meals over the past few days.

I celebrated my 22nd birthday this past Saturday, after an impromptu party at Pizza John’s, complete with random Latin dancing and of course ice cream and beer! Andrea and I went to Fortuna in the morning and then in the afternoon she and Chloe worked on my birthday cake while I embarked on a hike to a nearby waterfall. I started off on the trail, after wandering around the ranch a little bit trying to find the trail. Beron Gere found me looking lost and pointed me in the right direction. As soon as I began it started to pour, rainforest style. I decided to keep going anyway, mostly protected by the jungle leaves. I pushed on, heading deeper into the jungle. Before I continue, I suppose I should let you know about my new favorite pair of foot accessories. Black. Size 9. Pure rubber. Thick soles. Beautiful, essential rubber boots. I’ve yet to find a pair of shoes more useful in the rainforest than a pair of boots. Virtually indestructible by the elements and potential wild animals lurking around, I can conquer the world in my rubber boots. I feel invincible and love stomping through mud, climbing over fallen logs, or dominating a rain puddle. So there I was, amidst the torrential downpour, conquering the jungle. Just me and my boots and the jungle. I felt so alive, so in touch with everything around me. Who needs television when you’ve got this type of entertainment? Feeling empowered, I soon came to a small creek. “I don’t need to jump over this, I’ll just walk right in, like it’s nothing! I’m wearing rubber boots!” Yeah, well, it seemed like a great idea at the time. As soon as I stepped into the muddy creek I remembered one crucial point about stepping into muddy water. It’s nearly impossible to tell how deep it is. Unfortunately, the creek was just slightly deeper than my boots and I plunged into the river, water quickly seeping over the edges of my galoshes. I hopped out as quickly as possible and stood there on the bank, wringing out my socks and dumping the water out. Humbled, I continued on, excited to find the waterfall. The rain intensified and I realized how futile it is to ever really hope to stay dry here in the rainforest. You have no other choice than to embrace the wetness, and embrace it I did, me and my rubber boots. And thank God for my waterproof camera! That thing has been one of the single best investments I’ve ever made. Wonderful—a piece of technology that can keep up with my adventurous and crazy habits! The waterfall fell before me, soaking me even more than the rain already had. There was a pool of water around the waterfall that I stomped through for a bit, taking pictures and climbing up the rock face a little bit, ensuring that I was thoroughly soaked. Embracing the earth, the rain, the rubber boots. The pure and simple feeling of being utterly and completely ALIVE. Happy Birthday to me!

I eventually headed back to dry off and rinse off before dinner. On the way back I was determined not to fall for the muddy water trick again, so when I got to the creek I found a rock to walk across. However, thanks to the pouring rain that said rock was quite slippery. Within seconds I again found myself in the creek, boots and all submerged into the muddy water. Oh well. I pulled myself out, wrung out my socks and dumped the water out of my boots again, laughed, and ran off down the trail. When I did finally get to dinner, Isaac was working in the kitchen that night and told me to take myself out to dinner on him, drinks included. So I happily crossed over the divide between employees and guests and became like a guest that night, sort of. After everyone else was done eating they all came and joined me, which was a lot more enjoyable than sitting by myself, despite how good the food was. I was pleasantly surprised to find one of my favorite drinks from Chile was also served at this bar, and ordered a Brazilian caipirinha. It’s similar to a mojito, but less minty and much tastier, with more lime and sugar. For dinner I enjoyed a sirloin steak with pasta primavera and mixed veggies, along with herb bread and butter, and a tasty fresh garden salad with delectable tomatoes, peppers, and carrots. It’s amazing how good things you haven’t had in a while taste—and I didn’t even have to eat beans and rice!! After a while, Andrea and Chloe brought out my cake, which was carrot with pineapple. Carrot shavings spelled out “Happy Birthday Katie” and per tradition, I was told to “taste the cake”, which translates to “put your face near the cake so we can push it in.” I happily enjoyed the remainder of the evening listening to the pouring rain (I think it rained for over 12 straight hours this weekend!) and the conversation of newfound friends. Indeed, I am truly blessed to have found such a cool group of people so far from home.

On Sunday Andrea and I went on a hike up to the mirador, and then around the side of the mountain and down into the town of El Castillo, finally walking down the road and passing Pizza John’s. Of course it rained for some of the hike, but we also had a bit of time in the sun. Pizza John made me a birthday pizza and we tried to watch part of the Gold Cup with Mexico and the U.S. via slow internet.

Never fear, the fun continues! Aside from playing and exploring, I’ve been learning too!

Monday we took a 2.75 hour trip to central Costa Rica to visit EARTH University. This proved to be quite an enjoyable adventure. We spent about 3 hours at the university, meeting the director of international programs and participating in a marketing meeting for the creation of a new partnership and program between EARTH and the ranch. EARTH has many of the same sustainable, organic ideals as RM does and the two have come together to create a 2-week program for students and interested adults wanting to learn more about organic agriculture, among other topics to be determined. The students and professors of EARTH come from over 23 different countries and I could tell from just being on the campus and walking around that I was in an innovative, unique place with a great vibe. We hope to spend 4 or so days there sometime in August, learning more about the campus culture and various initiatives they are implementing. I really hope that does end up happening, as it would be nice to get off the ranch for a few days and be in a different place, learning and helping them develop a marketing plan as well. On the way back, Juan and Mosco kept stopping to gather plants, seeds, and other sundry items. At one particularly long stop Andrea and I decided to get out and walk around the nursery. We found a fallen orange and spent the next half hour playing catch in the parking lot. Who knew I’d be here in Costa Rica, playing with oranges, watching the sun begin to set somewhere in the middle of semi-civilization? We didn’t get back until 8pm, long after employee meal time was over. Thankfully we were treated to a delicious meal fit for the guests. I had tilapia over penne pasta and mixed veggies, along with amazing rolls with herb butter, a fresh garden salad, and plantains flambee. Mmmm. However, I was hardly hungry anymore by the time we got to eat so I gave most of it away to everyone else who was sitting around, hanging out with us while we ate and hoping for hand-outs. ;)

Tuesday Isaac asked us if we wanted to be in charge of the dessert for the guests. Of course we said yes and Andrea, Dusty, and I embarked on a cooking adventure trying to determine what to make. We decided on cream puffs and had a fabulous time. I made the cream filling. Making over 30 cream puffs was hard work, especially in the hot kitchen with everyone bustling around, working on their specific task. It was fun to be a part of the kitchen atmosphere, again something different, new, and exciting. I washed some dishes, and generally tried to stay out of the way. After a quick dinner we went back to the kitchen to finish up. Isaac decided to teach us more about “the industry” and I became in charge of preparing some of the entrees, including learning how to “plate” a dish. I cooked beef, tilapia, and stuffed zucchini, burning and turning orders as fast as possible, all the while having Isaac calmly explain what needed to happen when and how. Hot grease sputtered around, the fire flared, I created what I hoped to be attractive presentations of food on each plate, filling each with love and care, then putting it up on the counter and ringing the bell, alerting the waiters that “order’s up!” I learned how to know when fish is thoroughly cooked, and the necessity of arrow mats (sp?)—the family of onions, leeks, and the like. I also learned that while speed is imperative, so is caution. I now sport two awesome second degree burns on the thumb and forefinger of my right hand. I tell you this not to generate concern or sympathy, but rather as an interesting detail to embellish my story. I’ve always enjoyed getting scars and bruises, though not bug bites. The reason for this is simple: scars and bruises are reminders of some adventure, something out of the ordinary that occurred and if it looks cool enough, someone just might ask you about it. Hopefully, these burn marks will stick around for a while so that when I return to the States I can show you and in case you forgot, tell you about this one time back in Costa Rica when I got to work in the kitchen, pan searing beef and tilapia and cooking up the corn niblets. I was so excited to be doing something engaging and challenging that I forgot to grab a towel before I grabbed a hold of the pan sitting over the fire. “All I wanted to do was flip the veggies and lentils”, I’ll say. “But look at these great burn marks! What a story! What a life!” No pain, no gain, right? Call me crazy, but I enjoy a good scar or bruise here and there. It’s like a picture that adequately captures an incredible adventure, but you don’t have to worry about losing it or carrying it with you. All you have to do is roll up your sleeve or point to your knee. “See that? That’s from the time when I thought it’d be a good idea to run through a cactus patch!” (Don’t worry, I’ve never run through a cactus patch, though I’ve had my fair share of cactus encounters) But back to my burn, the great thing about living on an organic farm is that there are tons of cool plants around with all sorts of medicinal, healing qualities. I’m currently rubbing my battle wounds in the insides of an aloe stalk!

So the teamwork for the cream puffs was great. We each had our own specific tasks, as mentioned, and then after helping Isaac make the main dishes, it was soon time for the last course. “2 desserts for Table 3!” “4 desserts for Table 1!” The orders started out slow, then increased in intensity. I filled the puffs, Dusty drizzled chocolate on the plate and covered the top of each puff with a dab of chocolate and some coconut shavings while Andrea sliced strawberries and arranged mint leaves from the garden on the plate. We sure learned the proper way to plate last night!
And boy was it a blast. When everyone had been served we made up a few extra plates for ourselves and enjoyed the delicacies. We left the kitchen around 9, hot, sweaty, dirty, and completely satisfied not only because our bellies were full, but because we’d helped add a little something special to each guest’s experience here at the Ranch.

Here’s to continuing adventures, good friends, family, and being myself. May you find a bit of yourself this week that you don’t frequently entertain. Take that extra scoop of ice cream, run an extra mile, read an extra chapter in that book you’ve been enjoying, burn your hand on the stove (just kidding), live it up friends!

Peace, love, and happiness to you in your journey,
Pura Vida,

Katie

2 comments:

kelands said...

hmmm these events are all starting to make sense now... the recent report of better food, the upward mood swing and the "developments". Way to work the system!!

And I can totally picture you with boots full of water and the classic Katie face... i imagine it was very similar to the face made when ice cream falls onto the pavement.

Irina said...

Tu cumpleanos era magnifico! Que buenaso!! Estoy muy alegre para ti. Pero, chica, TENGO CELOS porque no estoy aya! Quiero regresar y PARTY IT UP contigo!

Sigue explorando!