Monday, September 3, 2007

Días Buenas, Llena con las risas y sonrisas (Good days, full of laughs and smiles)

So its been a while since I’ve updated this, I’ve been studying and living life and wanted to wait until I had a few things slightly notable to write about.

Yo no quería una vida normal,
no me gustaban los horarios de oficina.
Mi espíritu rebelde se reía
del dinero, del lujo y el comfort
Y tuve una revelación,
ya se que quiero en esta vida.

I didnt want a normal life

I never liked the hours at the office

My rebellious spirit laughed

at money, luxury, and comfort

I've had a revelation

I know what I want in this life.

I’ve been immersing myself into Spanish music…not necessarily music from chile though some of that too but just music where they sing in Spanish instead of English. Most of the Chileans here have learned English from watching movies and listening to music in English and I figured I might as well give it a try with Spanish. Plus its kind of like studying while I listen to music! I am completely obsessed with Julieta Venegas and Maná right now…check them out their music videos on Youtube if you want.

Life is SO good. I am loving every minute and as spring approaches, living here gets better and better. The flowers are coming out and blooming and the air is getting warmer, the wind is picking up and I have been told that September is the windy month so vamos a ver…we will see. Im beginning to realize what a unique opportunity I have been given to come and study here. Here I am, some fairly normal student from the U.S. and I am studying in Chile, surrounding myself in Spanish, learning an entirely different culture. And that is SO COOL. I am known for always laughing. about everything. all the time. it has been a month of laughter with some great new friends. how can i not laugh and smile? life is meant to be enjoyed.

Technology is also so wonderful, it makes the distance seem much shorter than it actually is to be able to communicate and talk, even call my house for pennies through Skype. My parents both bought plane tickets here, I guess they miss me a lot ;) so I will be hosting my mom in October and then my dad in December, adventuring with them and showing them this country I am inhabiting for a time. I cant wait!

I am now officially registered with what classes I am going to take this semester so the final count is Communicational Spanish-Chilean Culture, Philosophy, Personal Management, and the Language of Film. I am also taking a kayaking class but have only been out once b-c last week i just couldnt bring myself to go out onto the water when i was cold before getting wet and it was cloudy. the first time i went out was super fun but VERY hard, my arms felt like they were going to fall off but i made it and hopefully i'll get back in shape soon. Fifteen credits makes for a fairly easy semester but as they say, most of my learning this semester is going to be outside of the classroom. I cant wait to travel more!! Chile is honestly one of the best countries ever…its got everything!! From desert in the north to volcanoes, beach, rivers, lakes, forest, mountains, adventures are literally around EVERY corner.

For those of you following the progress of my foot, i am finally BOOT-FREE!!! i went for a run the other day and have been running a lot, just in the streets and by the beach and such. its so nice not to have to lug that thing around and its good having a nearly completely healed foot.

I had my first Chilean test today and spent a good portion of the weekend studying for it. I wasn’t really sure what to expect and was a little surprised when it was 3 long essay questions. I think I did okay, I had something to say for each question and maybe I’ll get a bit of a break for being a non-native speaker but im not counting on it.

Our apartment is being completely remodeled, all new tile floors in most of the rooms, new oven, two grills, and a bunch of other random furniture. Keeps life interesting with my uncle and sister sleeping in the living room and eating in one of the bedrooms while the kitchen is worked on. But it will be nice when its done and we’ve had some really good food with all the new stuff. The other day for lunch we had Chorripan which is a small sausage type thing in a toasted bread bun and then you put pebre on top which is some sort of tomato, parsnip, onion sort mix. And the argentinian steak we have from time to time is amazing grilled! Im looking forward to the 3rd week in September when they say all of Chile’s culture comes out and is celebrated with lots of dancing and good food and traditional dancing and just good fun.

I’ve been meeting lots more new people. Tomorrow I meet my exchange of language partner, she is trying to learn English and im trying to learn Spanish so we spend an hour talking, one half hour all in English and the other half all in Spanish. So that should be pretty neat and im excited about it.

I cant believe its already September. Time is flying, just as I knew it would. Keep the emails and letters coming! Love you guys.

Katie :)

No comments: